Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly of Large Genomes using Cloud Computing by Contrail

I have found a new software (the code source is not available yet) for large genomes assembly(http://sourceforge.net/projects/contrail-bio/). It relies on Hadoop to iteratively transform an on-disk representation of the assembly graph, allowing an in depth analysis even for large genomes, which can reduce the memory requirement. Contrails also use de Brujin graph strategy to do the short reads assembly.
    for more see the wiki: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...title=Contrail

does anyone know when the first release of Contrail is scheduled?

The quality of software coming from the Salzberg and Pop labs has been very high. Despite the inelegant name, I am really looking forward to seeing how Contrail compares with Velvet, Abyss, SOAPdenovo, etc..
    Last edited by Zigster; 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM.
    --
    Jeremy Leipzig
    Bioinformatics Programmer
    --
    My blog
    Twitter

Comment

I am also wondering if this assembler is written in entirely in Java. Isn't that a Hadoop requirement?
      --
      Jeremy Leipzig
      Bioinformatics Programmer
      --
      My blog
      Twitter

Comment

I am also looking forward to the first release of Contrail....

Comment

The source code has been released but it does not look like one could just run it. No documentation, no hints. Any word on when a usable version might be available?

Comment

Originally posted by jjv5 View Post
            The source code has been released but it does not look like one could just run it. No documentation, no hints. Any word on when a usable version might be available?
            Meanwhile ->

Michael Schatz (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory)
            "Cloud Computing and the DNA Data Race: Theory and Practice."

Comment

has anyone gotten this up and running? does it read raw sequence files? so many questions!
              Petri Dish Talk

Comment

Hi all,

I managed to get contrail up and running.

Here is how to run the program on the test case provided by Schatz.

http://homolog.us

Comment

Such an amazing post! This is an interesting thread. I wonder how effective this cloud computing is.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
                  "Defect-free software does not exist."
                  ~ Wietse Venema ~
                  Hosting Dallas

Comment

Effectiveness of which one are you asking about - cloud computing in general or hadoop?

Cloud computing basically allows you to rent computer time from some company managing the hardware. To an user, it is nothing different from using a local supercomputing facility at the university or other place.

Hadoop is a different paradigm and has been useful for large data. You can even set it locally and do not need cloud computing for it. I have few posts on hadoop for bioinformatics.

http://homolog.us

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses