Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MiniMicrobe
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2015
    • 6

    #1

    FastQC results for 16s reads

    Hi

    I have some FastQC results I have generated from Illumina 16s sequences. I have attached an example of the results for one of the demultiplexed fastq files, but they all look simillar.

    I think that the per base quality score looks ok but I am not sure about the other statistics. I have only worked with WGS data before and I haven't been able to find any information on if these are normal.

    Any information/links to resources on if these look ok would be really helpful.

    Thanks
    Michelle
    Attached Files
  • mastal
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 666

    #2
    I think they look OK. The thing with 16S reads is that they are amplicons, and that all the
    sequences are very similar.

    I had seen a document on the website of an Italian company named IGATech some months ago,
    which showed typical FastQC plots for 16S data, and improved plots with their method,
    which I think involved some type of heterogeneity spacers, but I can't find it now.

    IGATech provides state-of-the-art DNA and RNA sequencing on Illumina, Oxford Nanopore, and AVITI Element Biosciences platforms, offering solutions for agrigenomics, human genetics, cancer studies, pharma and biotech applications, epigenomics, and metagenomics.
    Last edited by mastal; 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM.

    Comment

    • MiniMicrobe
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2015
      • 6

      #3
      Hi Mastal

      Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case, I'm just trying to understand the data better.

      I managed to find a bit of a tutorial about this too.

      Use this link for starting AWS instance: Today’s lab topic: Quality control is important: sequencing, library prep Given sequence files from instruments, quality scores, Phred – Wiki is…

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
      0 responses
      7 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      31 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      27 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      47 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...