Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 Library prep for limited sample

I have a few samples with less than 500ng (some as low as 200ng) of DNA that we would really like to prep for Titanium sequencing.
    Has anyone attempted this before, and if so, did you generate decent libraries that produced decent sequencing?

Did you modify the protocol in any way?

Things I'm thinking of;
    a) Covaris shearing as opposed to nebulisation
    b) Gel-based size selection (e-gel) instead of beads
    c) PCR amplification of final library

Appreciate any pointers...

Read these:
    We describe a protocol for construction and quantification of libraries for emulsion PCR (emPCR)-based sequencing platforms such as Roche 454 or Ion Torrent PGM. The protocol involves library construction using customized Y adapters, quantification using TaqMan-MGB (minor groove binder) probe-based …

Continuous efforts have been made to improve next-generation sequencing methods for increased robustness and for applications on low amounts of starting material. We applied double-stranded library protocols for the Roche 454 platform to avoid the yield-reducing steps associated with single-stranded …

Comment

I made good libraries with 100 ng starting DNA.

1) Yes, use the Covaris.
      2) No, use beads.
      3) Only necessary if the final concentration is too low to measure or run on a bio-analyzer.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaag View Post
        I made good libraries with 100 ng starting DNA.

1) Yes, use the Covaris.
        2) No, use beads.
        3) Only necessary if the final concentration is too low to measure or run on a bio-analyzer.
        Hi Zaag
        Can you let me know your Covaris settings? Our libraries always seem to be on the large size (800-1000bp). We've tried the suggested settings for both 500bp and 400bp shearing.

Comment

we use the covaris S2:

45 seconds
          Intensity 3
          Dutycycle 5%
          Cycleburst 200

use the tubes from covaris, not eppendorfs or such
          fill up your sample with TE or EB of H2O or whatever till the tube is full (130 ul)

we routinely have gDNA from blood isolated by a gentra and it works fine for that, however we do see that if DNA is isolated manually the time can differ; settings remain the same;

hope this helps

Comment

by the way, as for point 3, maybe performing a few cycles of PCR is not a bad thing because you measure fragments that you can not use for emPCR: the libraries with only 1 adapter

Comment

I used the same settings but 90 second shearing and 120µL on our S2 with the AFA snap cap tubes. Increased time should generate smaller fragments, surely?
              I wonder why we're getting large libraries.

We're going to quantify our libraries by qPCR, so no need for enrichment PCR. I never liked the Roche 454 fluorescence assay because, as you say, it doesn't account for single adapter ligation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses