Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Susanne
    Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 33

    #16
    Does anybody know what the composition of the elution buffer is? Shouldn't that be almost water?

    Comment

    • ECO
      --Site Admin--
      • Oct 2007
      • 1360

      #17
      Water will work. Typically I use 10mM TrisHCl pH 8.5.

      Comment

      • Erika Feltrin
        Junior Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 7

        #18
        Ampure XP size

        Anybody know how big the Agencourt Ampure XP magnetic beads are?

        Comment

        • edawad
          Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 10

          #19
          When using Ampure XP beads, the included protocol says to dry for <5 min after the EtOH wash to avoid beads drying out too much and cracking. However most online protocols I see, plus Illumina's Truseq protocol (which uses Ampure XP) all say to dry for 15+ min until the beads crack. Anyone have any experience what difference this makes?

          Also most protocols say to use fresh 70% ethanol to wash, but the Truseq calls for 80%. My understanding is that the higher ethanol concentration might be less efficient at washing away smaller molecules. Has anyone played around with this?

          thanks

          Comment

          • katsigner
            Junior Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 1

            #20
            Can the beads be reused?? Any idea?

            Comment

            • niceday
              Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 68

              #21
              if the beads dry to cracking it can be difficult to elute the DNA in the time mentioned in the protocol.

              Some people make up 70% by eye and because 7ml of EtOH and 3ml of water has a volume less than 10ml they make it up to less than 70%.

              Comment

              • yorkzhou
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2011
                • 1

                #22
                Originally posted by katsigner View Post
                Can the beads be reused?? Any idea?
                Theoretically, there in no reason that the beads can not be reused.

                Beckman Coulter can't be happy about this idea. At least they may argue that you need to decontaminate the beads before binding other samples.

                The homebrewed buffer seems to be promising; maybe someone can do some tests.

                Comment

                • chronicle
                  Junior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 2

                  #23
                  Originally posted by edawad View Post
                  When using Ampure XP beads, the included protocol says to dry for <5 min after the EtOH wash to avoid beads drying out too much and cracking. However most online protocols I see, plus Illumina's Truseq protocol (which uses Ampure XP) all say to dry for 15+ min until the beads crack. Anyone have any experience what difference this makes?

                  Also most protocols say to use fresh 70% ethanol to wash, but the Truseq calls for 80%. My understanding is that the higher ethanol concentration might be less efficient at washing away smaller molecules. Has anyone played around with this?

                  thanks
                  Has anyone tried this out yet or had any thoughts? I'm getting ready to start using Illumina's Trueseq kit as well, and this struck me as a little odd too.

                  Comment

                  • Heisman
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 534

                    #24
                    Originally posted by chronicle View Post
                    Has anyone tried this out yet or had any thoughts? I'm getting ready to start using Illumina's Trueseq kit as well, and this struck me as a little odd too.
                    I've done a bunch of bead purifications. I see pretty good results either way in terms of drying time. One thing to keep in mind is that if you use 70 or 80% ethanol, the ethanol will evaporate first and the last liquid you see will be water. So it can be a tiny bit wet and you can feel pretty confident that you have gotten rid of all of the ethanol. No idea about which ethanol percent to use.

                    Comment

                    • chronicle
                      Junior Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 2

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Heisman View Post
                      I've done a bunch of bead purifications. I see pretty good results either way in terms of drying time. One thing to keep in mind is that if you use 70 or 80% ethanol, the ethanol will evaporate first and the last liquid you see will be water. So it can be a tiny bit wet and you can feel pretty confident that you have gotten rid of all of the ethanol. No idea about which ethanol percent to use.
                      Awesome! Thanks for the prompt reply! Hopefully I will have similarly good results.

                      Woops - should have noted - do you use a short dry time (<5 min like the Ampure XP protocol calls for), or do you go for a longer drying time (i.e. 15 min) as specified in the Illumina protocol? It seems like for such a small volume, this is a fairly excessive dry time, but I'm not sure how it will affect the Ampure Beads.
                      Last edited by chronicle; 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM.

                      Comment

                      • Heisman
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 534

                        #26
                        Originally posted by chronicle View Post
                        Awesome! Thanks for the prompt reply! Hopefully I will have similarly good results.

                        Woops - should have noted - do you use a short dry time (<5 min like the Ampure XP protocol calls for), or do you go for a longer drying time (i.e. 15 min) as specified in the Illumina protocol? It seems like for such a small volume, this is a fairly excessive dry time, but I'm not sure how it will affect the Ampure Beads.
                        I go for as short as possible that will allow me to feel confident it's dry. If I'm working with only a couple of tubes, I will suck out drops with a pipette to make it faster, haha.

                        Comment

                        • Yevaud
                          Junior Member
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 3

                          #27
                          In my case the drying time is making only resuspension time a little bit longer and usually to be really sure that it's dry I dry beads 30 min under vacuum and nothing is happening to the product. But I have to note that mostly I'm working with the PCR products so maybe there are more stable.

                          Comment

                          • Heisman
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2010
                            • 534

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Yevaud View Post
                            In my case the drying time is making only resuspension time a little bit longer and usually to be really sure that it's dry I dry beads 30 min under vacuum and nothing is happening to the product. But I have to note that mostly I'm working with the PCR products so maybe there are more stable.
                            If it works then great, no worries. A lot of people state that if they dry to the point of cracking then they lose yield, and I think the official protocol states this now as well. But if it works, no need to change.

                            Comment

                            • cascoamarillo
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 164

                              #29
                              Hi,
                              This question is related to AMPure XP but comparing it with the RNAClean XP. In theory the have different features:

                              GENEWIZ from Azenta provides superior data and high-quality constructs for next generation sequencing, gene synthesis, and sanger sequencing.

                              GENEWIZ from Azenta provides superior data and high-quality constructs for next generation sequencing, gene synthesis, and sanger sequencing.


                              but some people told me that they are the same but with different buffer. Any idea or experience on this issue.

                              Comment

                              • Gina_P
                                Member
                                • Dec 2011
                                • 20

                                #30
                                Originally posted by chronicle View Post
                                Has anyone tried this out yet or had any thoughts? I'm getting ready to start using Illumina's Trueseq kit as well, and this struck me as a little odd too.
                                I use 80% ethanol, and also, I have let my beads dry to the point of cracking (15 minutes) and have seen no ill results from that. I always have gobs of library for sequencing. However, it's good to know that I can also let it dry for a shorter amount of time. Now all those Ampure XP cleanups will go a lot more quickly.
                                - Gina

                                Comment

                                Latest Articles

                                Collapse

                                • SEQadmin2
                                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                  by SEQadmin2


                                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                  ...
                                  Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                                • SEQadmin2
                                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                  by SEQadmin2




                                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                                ad_right_rmr

                                Collapse

                                News

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
                                0 responses
                                9 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                                0 responses
                                31 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                                0 responses
                                27 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                                1 response
                                47 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post pekgio
                                by pekgio
                                 
                                Working...