Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454assembly using Newbler: job time expectation?

Greetings

I would like to know how long should the following assembly to run using newbler?

The following are details:

gsAssebler
    software version: 2.3
    Data: 454 data
    Input: 3 .sff files with a total of 1,434,170 reads
    Genome: eukaryotic unknown size
    Not pair end.

I am using the command line and not the GUI. The manual suggests that runAssembly is faster and more efficient. In my previous jobs, I find this to be true. ie.

shell> runAssembly -g , -cpu Num 4 ./input #command used.

Hardware specs:
    CPU: 4 processors 2.66ghz ea
    RAM: 16gb

The 454newblerprogress.txt file shows that it is currently “detangling alignemnts”. This is great but the file has not updated for more than 24hrs!

The job is running for 6 days, a deadline is looming...
    Should I assume it the newbler stalled, died or just gave up?

Thanks.

Long detangling points to a problem with the dataset. You could try the -large option which I think will solve it. It shortcuts some steps during detangling (and alignment).

If coverage is low, ie less than say 15x, also increasing alignment stringency could help: -mi 96 or 98, -ml 60, 80 or even 100.

Good luck!

Comment

great...
      The assembly finished in 13 hours:
      start: Sat Mar 27 19:21:59
      stop: Sun Mar 28 08:25:07

What is the advantage of increasing the ml length or mi length with low coverage reads?
      I am interested in doing additional reading on the topic and Im sure others have had the similar issues if coverage is low.

Also, I found that the N50 decreased by using large option and switching from -ml60/-mi90 parameters to default parameter (N50 = 775, N50=540).

I assume that low quality reads are dropped by setting the overlapMinMatchIdentity to a higher value, which increases contig quality. But I am unclear on this topic.

Comment

Increased mi and ml prevents the assembler 'looking for overlap' where there is not enough coverage to actually have overlap. I don't think it drops low quality reads any more than default parameters, though...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses