No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duplicate reads in ChIPSeq

Hello community,

we have a problem concernig a illumina sequenced ChIPSeq experiment.
    After mapping and viewing the reads in the UCSC GB surprisedly 99% of the reads map to some unique locations. The corresonding reads share the same start and end coordinate and there are no additional cluster of duplication surrounding a location in terms of the origional fragment lenght.

Does anyone have an idea? I would very much appreciate your assistance

tec

I'm not really clear on what you're saying here. Do you find that 99% of your reads are the same sequence, with exactly the same start and end positions? If that's the case I'd suspect that you may have just ended up sequencing a primer rather than your library. Sometimes these primer sequences can map to a reference genome and give a false impression that you're seeing a real genomic sequence.

Alternatively are you saying that you have many clusters (if so, how many?), but that in each one you see just a single read duplicated many times, with no other overlapping reads? In this case I'd suspect a problem with your library preparation - probably in one of the PCR steps. This is assuming that your library was prepared using random fragmentation (sonnication or similar). If your library was generated by restriction digestion then this is what you'd expect to see.

Have you checked the mapping efficiency of your sequence (ie what proportion of clusters were able to be mapped to your reference). This might give a clue as to what's gone wrong.

Comment

duplicate reads in ChIPSeq

Hello simonandrews,

-> Alternatively are you saying that you have many clusters (if so, how many?), but that in each one you see just a single read duplicated many times, with no other overlapping reads?

Thats exactly what i see. I work with the human genome and can detect at least clusters on every chromosome. Using seqmap for mapping of ~ 5 mil single reads it outputs ~ 15.000 unique locations of single reads - all other fall in this locations (duplicates). The mapping efficiency is ~ 65% as expected.
      (mapping with eland gives the same proportion)

The library was prepared using random fragmentation (sonication) and the initial fragment length is ~ 200 - 400 bp.

I have no idea what's gone wrong. What could happend during the library preparation?

Thanks! tec

Comment

My immediate thought would be that you could have had a step in your library prep where you lost virtually all of your input material, and that a subsequent PCR step dramatically amplified what was left and produced a large number of duplicated reads.

Comment

ok, but how this could happend??? (..a virtually loss?)

The library was prepared using the standard illumina protocol and kit.
          We sequencend another ChIPSeq experiment and there was no such problem.

Thanks! tec

Comment

duplicate reads in ChIPSeq !?

Hello all,

the problem with duplicate reads still keeps me busy..
            Therefore we performed a Topo cloning resequencing check of the library.
            Surprisingly, over 75% of the clones were unique - which doesn't correlate with the sequencing run!!!

Does anyone have an idea???

Thanks! tec

Comment

Thats just a sampling issue.

Say there are only 1000 unique molecules in the library:

If you topo/sanger sequence x100, only a few will look like duplicates.

But if you nex-gen sequence 10,000 most will look like duplicates.

Make another library with more DNA input, less PCR...

Comment

Originally posted by dvh View Post
                Thats just a sampling issue.

Say there are only 1000 unique molecules in the library:

If you topo/sanger sequence x100, only a few will look like duplicates.

But if you nex-gen sequence 10,000 most will look like duplicates.

Make another library with more DNA input, less PCR...
                i agree!
                But taken the fact into acount that another library showed exact the same distribution in the topo/sanger sequencing and the Illumina sequencing gave nice results - i am confused.
                Is it possible that during the preparation of the flow cell, e.g. cluster generation.., something went wrong which could led to that result???

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses