No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapestation profile weird

Hi all,

We are outsourcing RNA-seq along with RNA isolation from a gram positive bacterium. The service provider has sent the QC report (Tapestation) for the isolated RNA.
    The first sample is said to have failed and has the following profile.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	161
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	323847

For other sample, the RNA isolation is being claimed to have succeeded with the following profiles.

Name:	1.png
Views:	214
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	323848

Name:	2.png
Views:	168
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	323849

Name:	3.png
Views:	198
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	323850

Do you have any suggestions regarding the following points?
    (1) Why there is weird peak between 25 and 200 and also a corresponding darkest band in all the samples?
    (2) Shall the service provider be asked to proceed with the library preperation for the bottom 3 samples?

Many thanks
    Attached Files

mark_6060 it's been a while since I've done any bacterial work or run that Tapestation, but to me, it looks like the RNA is a bit degraded and that's why there are large peaks at the end.

Do you have any older Tapestation runs to compare this to? Also, I remembered that for RNA Tapestation runs, the RNA has to be put into a thermocycler for denaturation prior to running on the screen tape. If the temperature is wrong it can degrade the RNA or cause it to run strangely on the screen tape.

Depending on your application, slightly degraded RNA might not be a huge deal. But first I would look at other runs and see how they compare first.

Comment

Ben3, thanks for your reply. These samples were analyzed for the first time; so I don;t have their earlier profiles. However, I do have profiles (pasted below) for some other samples that have passed the QC on the current batch.

Name:	5.png
Views:	174
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	323867

Comment

mark_6060 those profiles look much better. That's more of what I expect out of quality RNA. Seeing how they compare, I would say the RNA from the first charts is slightly degraded, but not that bad. I think the question would be how comfortable you would feel if there was some slight degradation.

Depending on the library prep kit and the aim of the study, it might not matter too much if there's a small bit of degradation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses