Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expected Library size after adaptors

If we get a pre adaptor, size selected library with an average size of 170 bp then after the adaptors (which are 41 and 53 bp) I would expect to see 170+41+53=264bp but what we actually see is more like 247bp. Does this seem normal? Perhaps the post adaptor size is not as expected because one of the adaptors is single stranded at it's 5' end?

What method are you using to size the library? Pre or post enrichment PCR?

In any case I would not sweat the difference between 264 and 247 bp. Most likely the size is not exactly right. Keep in mind that if you are using some sort of electrophoresis based method that differences between the sequence composition of your sample and the size standard would likely be sufficient to explain a 7% difference. But other factors (salt concentration difference between the standard and sample) are also going to throw off your size estimation.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Thanks for your reply, we are using the Agilent Bioanalyser with the DNA 1000 kit and 'yes' we are aware of the variation that is inherent. It has since been pointed out to me that the bioanalyser only reads double stranded DNA and the Standard adaptor has over 30 bases of single strand so combining this with the variation seems to account for what we see.

thanks again Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by JPC View Post
        It has since been pointed out to me that the bioanalyser only reads double stranded DNA
        Hi JPC,
        Not sure what was intended by the person that told you this.
        The bioanalyser DNA chips do "read" single stranded molecules. If by "read" you mean "visualize". You can check this yourself by running the ssRNA ladder for the RNA chips on a DNA chip. You will see peaks. Please see:

Techniques and protocol discussions on sample preparation, library generation, methods and ideas

for details. Counter-intuitively ssDNA segments would tend to actually slow the migration of molecules on the DNA agilient chips I have used.

Actually, had you not already done the enrichment PCR step prior to your running your chip? If so, then the amplicon should be completely dsDNA.

But I guess you library is fine in any case...

--
        Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses