Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • a.cardilini
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 4

    #1

    RAD-seq SNPs: pooled population library prep?

    G'day Everyone,

    I am new to genomics and hope that I don't annoy you by asking a basic question.

    I am thinking of using RAD-seq SNP discovery to identify SNP markers for a population genetics project in a non-model species. At the moment, I am trying to figure out if it is realistic for me to go down this path and have been reading the protocol by Etter et al 2011. I have a question about pooling populations that I hope someone can help me with:

    Can I pool the DNA of individuals before I digest the DNA with the appropriate restriction enzyme? Meaning I would only need to do 1 digest per library rather than ~20.
    If not, what is the reason behind not doing this?

    Thank you in advance for your help and time.

    Kind regards,
    Adam
  • uranotaenia
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 2

    #2
    It depends on if you want to have individual-level data at the end. If you pool before you ligate your barcodes (P1 adapter ligation comes after restriction digest) then you will not be able to sort out your individuals in the final reads.

    So if you want to maintain individual-level data then you will want to do the individual restriction digests, ligate your barcodes (P1 adaptors) on and then pool for shearing.

    Comment

    • jboone123
      Junior Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 4

      #3
      Uranotaenia hit it on the head.

      Also keep in mind- when doing pools together with local de novo assembly of RAD pe reads, assembly of pe reads can get messy if the level of variation in the pool is high.

      Good luck and tell us how it goes.
      www.floragenex.com
      www.biotasciences.com

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
      0 responses
      13 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      36 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      28 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      48 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...